Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pretty in Pink Pancakes


For the past two years, my boys and I have participated in the Making Strides Breast Cancer Walk. I hope we can do it again next year. It is the least I can do to help the courageous families battling this frightful disease worldwide. In honor of all the warriors out there, my Tasty Tuesday contribution is Pretty in Pink Pancakes. 

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons white sugar
·
2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon (or more) vanilla

1 teaspoon salt (or less)

1 egg, beaten
·
1/2 cup non-fat milk

1/3 cup prickly pear cactus syrup as seen here (or strawberry syrup)
·   
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. I am pretty salt conscious, so I use less than the salt the recipe calls for. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the vanilla and egg. Mix in the milk and syrup slowly to ensure the batter achieves the right not too wet or too dry consistency for pancakes. More syrup means pinker and sweeter pancakes. Mix until smooth. If the batter is too wet, you might need to add a little more flour.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Scoop the batter onto the griddle using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve. 
My boys enjoy adding a peanut butter topping. Enjoy!
Other Think Pink Tasty Tuesday Recipes you might like:

Simple Salmon by Selena Robins : http://selenarobinsmusings.com/2012/10/15/thinking-pink-in-the-kitchen

5 comments:

Selena Robins said...

What a wonderful idea, Kimberley and kudos to your boys for participating in such a worthwhile cause. Some lucky woman is going to be the recipient of their compassion and understanding.

Love the recipe!

Kimberley Troutte said...

Thank you, Selena. They are wonderful guys. I love 'em to bits.

Moira said...

Fantastic sounding recipe! I haven't done the walk yet, but I intend to. Something I think I need to get my kids involved in too.

Thanks for the lovely story to go along with the recipe!

Nancy Lauzon said...

I don't know how to make pancakes anymore, because my husband took over the job early on in our marriage. He now makes them every Sunday, and our daughters sometimes join us. I'm very spoiled =)

PG Forte said...

Will definitely have to try these, Kimberley. Thanks!